What Are The Disadvantages Of Rubber Flooring?
By Created: January, 2022
Related Product: Sterling Athletic Rubber Tile Black 1.25 Inch x 2x2 Ft.
There are so many advantages to using rubber flooring. However, it is not without its disadvantages.
Rubber Flooring Cons
- Rubber flooring tends to be quite heavy, sometimes making it difficult to maneuver. This heavier weight often means a higher shipping cost. This can be combated, however, by choosing rubber tiles instead of heavier mats or rolls.
- Many rubber products tend to have a strong, somewhat unpleasant odor. Although this does tend to decrease over time, it can sometimes be quite off putting. That is why some people choose plastic, foam, or even carpet tiles in closed in spaces where the smell would be too much for them.
- Once installed, some rubber products do not offer a seamless look.
- Smooth, untextured rubber flooring can be very slippery when wet.
- Although rubber is popular for gym use and known to be shock and impact absorbing, it is hard, so it isn’t the most comfortable flooring. Where EVA foam tiles and raised PVC flooring options offer a soft and cushioned surface, rubber does not.
- Rubber is not good to use under vehicles. Automotive fluids can damage rubber, and there is too much traction with tires. Plastic is a better option when choosing flooring for a garage or under a vehicle.
- If you want a color other than black, that can be quite expensive - especially the greater percentage of color flecks in one color. If you really want colors, PVC plastic or EVA foam may be better options.
- Where many plastic modular tiles and other alternatives can be installed over carpet, rubber is not a great choice for this type of use without extra preparations being taken.
Although the disadvantages do exist, as they do for all types of flooring, the rubber flooring solutions at Greatmats are still fantastic to use for so many settings and purposes.
Greatmats Popular Rubber Flooring Products
- Sterling Athletic Rubber Tile 1.25 Inch Black
- Rubber Flooring Rolls 3/8 Inch 10% Color Geneva Per SF
- Rubber Tile Utility 8 mm Black Mix
- Interlocking Rubber Floor Tiles 2x2 Ft x 8 mm Color
- Bounce Back Playground Tile 1.75-2.5 Inch Black
The tiles are 1.25 inch thick tiles and 2x2 feet and with a Shore A 60 hardness. They can be used in a gym, weight room, or fitness center, or, on a patio, deck, or more.
These mats are made in the USA, affordable, and have a non-slip surface. They offer a comfortable surface to walk or stand on, they are eco-friendly, and they provide a level of insulation from a hot or cold floor. They have a material density rating of Shore A 60, which guarantees they will be stronger than average utility flooring tile.
These rubber tiles are commercial grade and suitable for weight rooms, commercial gyms, home gym floors, basement floors, garage floors, and more. They are easy to install without adhesive, and they are 8mm thick and made to withstand exercise equipment and intense workouts.
Greatmats - For The Best Rubber Floor Products
The featured rubber products are some of the best and most popular products offered at Greatmats. They represent a variety of thicknesses and suitable uses, and they are made to look great, perform well, and last.
If you have questions about the featured products and want help deciding which one may be the right one for your space, just reach out to the team at Greatmats. They will answer any questions you have and provide you with the information you need to ensure you’re getting the best option for your project.
For more on this topic please review our Rubber Flooring product page.