How Thick Are Ground Protection Mats?
By Created: April, 2021 - Modified: December, 2021
Related Product: TuffTrak XL Plus Heavy Duty Ground Protection Road Mat Custom
- 10 mm
- 3/8 inch
- 1/2 inch
- 3/4 inch
- 1 inch
- 1 1/2 inch
- 1 7/8 inch
- 2 inches
- 4 1/4 inches
There are lightweight mats and heavy duty mats - all of which serve different purposes.
Greatmats offers a wide variety of ground protection mats, with options that fall in the range of the most popular thicknesses. Of the many products available, the most popular ones are:
- TuffTrak XL Plus Heavy Duty Ground Protection Road Mat - 1 ⅞ inches thick and made of Polyethylene Plastic
- Ground Protection Mats System7 Mat 8 ft x 14 ft - 4 ¼ inches thick and made of Polyethylene Plastic
- Matrax Heavy Duty Drivable Composite Mats 4x4 Ft Grey - 1 ½ inches thick and made of polyethylene plastic
- Portable Outdoor Tile 12x12 Inch - ¾ inch thick and made of Polypropylene Plastic
- Mud-Traks Super Ground Protection Mat - Rope Handles 32 in x 8 ft - 10mm thick and made of fiberglass
- Outrigger Pad 18 x 18 x 1 Inch - 1 inch thick and made of plastic
- Outrigger Pad 2 x 2 Ft x 2 Inch - 2 inches thick and made of plastic
- Greatmats Ground Protection 4x8 Ft Mat - ½ inch thick and made of Polyethylene Plastic
- Link Round Single Metal- ½ inch thick and made of steel
- Connectors 4-Way for Economat and Liberty Ground Protection Mats - made of urethane
As you can see from glancing at the list, Greatmats has the Mud-Traks mats that are 10mm thick, the Mats System7 Mat that is 4 ¼ inches thick, and 9 different options representing the thicknesses in between. Knowing which mat thickness or specific mats to purchase really depends on the purpose the mats will serve and the features you need them to have. Let’s take a closer look at each of these products.
Ground Protection Mats Under 1 Inch Thick
This tile also features drainage holes, and it is non absorbent with an anti-slip surface texture. This tile is very attractive, versatile, and durable and will hold its shape. It’s available in gray or black. Use these tiles where you will have pedestrian traffic and light automotive traffic.
The mat isn’t negatively impacted by gas, water, oil, or chemicals, and it does not conduct electricity. It’s made with a solid fiberglass grid structure that channels the tire load throughout the mat, allowing for a tire weight to spread over an area 15 times larger than the tire.
The mats are rated for 50 tons of weight and will take your equipment over mud, sand, swamp, or virtually any other surface. Because they are light in color, they stay cool in heat to avoid damage to lawns.
Mats Over 1 Inch Thick
Outrigger pads are available in different sizes and thicknesses, with the most popular being the Outrigger Pad 18 x 18 x 1 Inch , Outrigger Pad 2 x 2 Ft x 2 Inch, and Outrigger Pad 15 x 15 Inch x 3/8 Inch. They are made of plastic. This lightweight product is made in the USA and has a load bearing capacity of anywhere from 55,000 pounds all the way up to up to 135,000 pounds. It boasts a safety textured surface tread, and it is made to withstand the weight of heavy vehicles and equipment without warping or delamination. The highly durable, proprietary engineered thermoplastic material they are made of is non-conductive, non magnetic, and resistant to chemicals, water, oils, and extreme temperatures.
Accessories to Accompany Mats
What Are Ground Protection Mats Made Of?The mats highlighted are either made of plastic, polyethylene, polypropylene, or fiberglass.
- Plastic is either synthetic or naturally occurring, and it can be shaped and hardened. Plastic is a polymer substance.
- Polyethylene is the most common type of plastic. Although often used in packaging, it is used in other things - like heavy mats. It is made from ethylene gas.
- Polypropylene is a thermoplastic polymer that is synthetic and derived from oil and natural gas production.
- Fiberglass is a reinforced plastic material made of a woven material that’s embedded with glass fibers that are laid across each other and held together with a binding substance.
Greatmats - For the Best Variety of Ground Protection Mats!Greatmats offers a wide variety of ground protection mats and accessories, and the items highlighted simply provide a snapshot of what is available. With numerous sizes, types, and thicknesses available, there is a product that would work perfectly for virtually any product or setting.
The mats offered at Greatmats are manufactured using only robust material, and they are designed to bend as needed without folding or breaking. Regardless of the product you go with, any of the mats would be an excellent choice. If you want more information or details, the Greatmats’ customer service team is readily available to answer questions and to help you decide which product to purchase.
For more on this topic please review our Ground Protection Mats product page.