How to Choose Artificial Turf for Dog Daycare
By Created: May, 2018 - Modified: January, 2021
Related Product: Pet Heaven Artificial Grass Turf Roll 1 Inch x 15 Ft. Wide Per SF
Artificial turf for dogs may be the perfect solution. This highly durable yet low-maintenance flooring is gaining popularity and is used in dog daycare facilities all over the country. Here's why, and how you can choose the product that's just right for your dog daycare.
Why Artificial Grass for Dogs Makes Sense for Dog DaycareSo why invest in artificial turf for dogs? Well, there are a number of reasons why your dog daycare can benefit from this great flooring option.
- Durable: If you have a small area that sees heavy traffic, then traditional grass will quickly be worn down and even turn to mud. That's not a concern with pet turf, which is designed to be durable enough to withstand high amounts of traffic and even the wear and tear of pet nails.
- No mud: Do you find yourself reluctant to let the dogs out to play after a heavy rain, dreading the muddy paws and coats that will result? Because artificial turf can drain water away quickly, it will never turn to mud. This means that you can use the space soon after a heavy rain without having to worry about toweling off the dogs or cleaning up muddy messes.
- Almost no maintenance: When it comes to maintaining synthetic turf for pets, you really just need to hose off the turf and let it dry. Regular hosing will keep the turf looking clean and fresh, and yellow urine stains on grass will be a thing of the past.
- Beautiful appearance: When you're bringing potential clients through your facility, you want a beautiful space that is clean, welcoming, and attractive. Pet friendly turf gives you that exact aesthetic year-round. The green turf will make your facility look clean and welcoming, and it also makes for some beautiful photos that you can use for promotional purposes.
- Safe: Pet friendly turf creates a surface that is safe for pets to play on. Dogs can run around, roughhouse, and even fall on the turf. Because the pet turf reacts much like natural grass does, it creates a surface that is forgiving in order to help keep pets safe.
- No chemicals required: Unlike real grass, which requires fertilizer in order to stay lush and green, this turf requires no chemicals so you don't have to worry about products that could potentially be toxic to dogs.
- Indoor and outdoor use: Artificial turf is versatile, and many products can be used both indoors and out. Consider using artificial turf to revitalize your outdoor play area, or to create a bright and welcoming indoor play space.
With so many benefits, it makes sense to purchase pet turf for a dog daycare.
Choosing the Right Artificial Turf for DogsWhile pet turf is a great addition to dog daycare facilities, it's important that you purchase the right product for your needs. Consider these factors as you evaluate different turf options for your daycare facility:
- Durability: Dog nails are tough and can seriously damage flooring surfaces that aren't constructed to withstand that kind of wear and tear. Make sure that you purchase an artificial turf designed specifically for use with pets. This type of product will have the strength and durability needed to withstand significant amounts of traffic from dogs.
- Environmental challenges: Think about where you'll be installing the turf. Turf products are available for both indoor and outdoor installations, but outdoor installations bring added challenges. If you're planning an outdoor installation, be sure to think about the product's ability to withstand extreme temperatures, UV protection and drainage features.
- Maintenance and cleaning: One of the major advantages of pet turf is that it's easy to clean. Look for a turf that can simply be hosed down. This feature will save you lots of cleaning time.
- Cost and budget: Pet turf is available at different price points. When calculating the cost, be sure to add together the cost of the product, the cost of any infill needed, and the cost of the installation.
So which dog daycare turf is right for your facility? We've outlined a number of our most popular products below.
Catalina Artificial Turf RollSuitable for both indoor and outdoor use, the Catalina Artificial Turf Roll is a popular option for pet areas and dog daycares. The synthetic grass creates a safe place for dogs to play, while also preventing mud from forming. It drains quickly, even after a heavy rainfall, and is an all-weather product.
Cleaning pet urine is simple; you can flush it out using water, and can also use a mild, diluted household detergent and a mop if additional cleaning is necessary. Solids should be removed promptly, then the area can be cleaned with a diluted household cleaning solution.
With a 1.5-inch pile height, this turf creates a welcoming, lush surface that responds naturally. The turf is UV treated, so it will retain its beautiful appearance even when exposed to the sun on a daily basis. The 15-foot-wide roll quickly covers larger areas, and is highly durable and long-lasting.
Silicon Valley Artificial Grass Turf RollFor a thick, plush body and a natural appearance, consider the Silicon Valley Artificial Grass Turf Roll. This turf is easy to care for, and can be used for indoor and outdoor installations. The 15-foot-wide roll offers generous coverage, and you can order this turf by the foot (with a 20-linear-foot minimum order).
This turf is highly durable and reacts naturally underfoot. It's thick and lush, and is backed by a 5-year limited warranty.
Pet Heaven Artificial Grass Turf RollIf you're looking for long-lasting durability that can withstand the busy environment of a dog daycare, then our Pet Heaven Artificial Grass Turf Roll may be the perfect product for you. This turf is highly durable and is manufactured specifically for use in areas that pets frequent. The turf's backing has a dual layered woven polypropylene with a SilverBack polyurethane coating that contributes to this product's impressive durability.
With a 7/8-inch pile height, this artificial turf feels natural underfoot. It looks just like natural grass, and dogs won't even know the difference. It's virtually maintenance-free; just hose it off from time to time to keep it looking like new.
Artificial Grass Turf UltimatePetFor superior drainage in areas that see high amounts of rain, our Artificial Grass Turf UltimatePet is a great choice that can improve the functionality and use of your outdoor space. This turf drains away water 10 times faster than real grass, and it offers better drainage than any other synthetic surface. With other, slower-draining synthetic turf, you may see rainwater buildup on the surface, but this pet turf offers more effective drainage. Because of this great performance, this turf can help to prevent the buildup of odor and bacteria.
Additionally, this highly durable artificial grass for dogs is engineered for use in kennels and won't be worn down by pet traffic. It's backed by an impressive 8-year manufacturer's warranty, and with a 15- to 20-year life expectancy, you can be sure that it's a great investment for your facility.
Though this turf offers great and fast drainage, it's suitable for both indoor and outdoor installations, and is a versatile option for any dog daycare.
Go Mat Artificial Grass MatWhether you need to add turf to just a few small locations or are looking for something conveniently sized for indoor use, our Go Mat Artificial Grass Mat is perfectly sized at 5x8 feet. With a finished edge, this mat can be used alone both indoors and outdoors. It still gives you the look and feel of real grass, but at a smaller price point than some of the other turf roll options.
This mat offers a supremely soft and comfortable surface, and will not fade. Its fibers are stain resistant, so it's ideal for use in a dog daycare facility. You can simply rinse the mat clean, and its excellent drainage design will quickly drain away water.
The 3/4-inch pile will mostly maintain itself, though you can use a stiff bristle broom to fluff up the fibers if they become compressed. The mat is small enough so that you can easily move it about in your facility, making it a versatile product that you're sure to find countless uses for.
A Note About DrainageBecause pets will likely urinate on the turf, it's important to make sure that you create adequate drainage, whether you're installing the turf indoors or out. Using a layer of crushed stone can increase the turf's ability to quickly drain away liquids, keeping the artificial grass for dogs a safe and healthy surface.
Artificial grass for dogs is a great addition to any dog daycare. If you have any questions, please give our customer service team a call. We would be happy to help you choose the product that's just right for your business.
For more on this topic please review our Artificial Grass and Turf product page.