How to Choose Artificial Turf for Landscaping
How to Choose Artificial Turf for Landscaping
What are the key features for quality landscaping turf
Related Product: Coastal Cut Artificial Grass Roll 15 Ft wide per LF
By Paige Cerulli
If you want to create beautiful landscaping that features plenty of green grass, then artificial turf for landscaping may be the best way to get that look year-round. Artificial turf takes some of the time and challenge out of creating and maintaining a green, thriving lawn, but with the quality products available today, you can hardly tell the difference between real and artificial turf.
If you've ever spent the time and money necessary to seed, fertilize, water, mow, weed, and maintain grass, then you'll understand why fake grass for landscaping is so popular. Once installed, these products are virtually maintenance-free.
You'll find that artificial turf is suitable for commercial spaces that will see heavy traffic, but it's also a great choice for home use, too. It can create a welcoming lawn that your whole family (and pets) can comfortably enjoy, while leaving you with enough free time to take advantage of your new space.
Why Artificial Turf Works Well for Landscaping
Artificial turf offers many benefits that make it a popular option for commercial and home landscaping.
- Beautiful aesthetic: Landscaping turf creates an eye-catching, beautiful appearance that's perfect for home and commercial applications. There's nothing better than looking out over a field of luxurious grass, and that's something that you'll be able to do every day when you invest in artificial grass for landscaping.
- Year-round enjoyment: Grass browns and fades in the fall and the winter, but with landscaping turf, you can enjoy a lush lawn year-round. There's no waiting for the grass to grow back in the spring, and there's no downtime. Plus, you can start enjoying the turf right after it's installed, so if you're working on a tight timeline, you'll get a great-looking yard far sooner with artificial turf than you will with grass.
- Virtually maintenance-free: Think of the work that maintaining a lawn requires. There's seeding and watering and fertilizing, weeding and mowing. It's costly, both in terms of financial investments and in terms of your time. That all disappears when you invest in synthetic grass for landscaping. Just hose off the synthetic turf and you're done. It couldn't be easier.
- More versatile than grass: When you're working with actual grass, factors such as soil quality, water runoff, slopes, rocky terrain, and more may make maintaining a lush lawn virtually impossible, even with extensive care and maintenance. You can install landscaping turf in areas where grass simply won't be able to grow, increasing your landscaping versatility and bringing your vision to life.
- Excellent drainage: If you want to use synthetic turf after a rain, you can. Many artificial turfs are designed for maximize drainage, so there's no mud to worry about, meaning you can enjoy the space more than you can with genuine grass.
There are so many reasons to invest in artificial turf for landscaping. However, your project's success will depend on your ability to choose the right product for your needs.
Choosing the Right Artificial Grass for Landscaping
When it comes to landscaping turf, you'll have plenty of products to choose from. Consider these factors when selecting the product that's right for your project.
- Pile height: The pile height, or the height of the grass blades, will affect the look and feel of the turf that you choose. A higher pile offers additional cushion, while shorter pile heights create a bit of a neater appearance like you would see in a short-mowed golf course green.
- Durability: Consider how much foot traffic the turf will see. If you need a turf to withstand significant foot traffic or kids at play, then be sure to invest in a product that's built with durability in mind. Many of our turf products are backed by manufacturer's warranties, so you can buy confidently knowing that you're making a long-lasting investment.
- Environmental conditions: What conditions will your turf be exposed to? Consider temperature fluctuations, rain and snow and UV light. Many outdoor artificial turf products are created for outdoor use and can withstand these demanding conditions.
- Desired installation: Where will you be installing the turf? Will a professional be handling the installation, and how large will the installation be? You'll need to consider suitable infills and site preparation methods, especially when it comes to providing drainage for areas that receive a high degree of annual rainfall.
- Cost and budget: When calculating the overall price of your turf, be sure to factor in the price of the product, the price of the infill, and the price of the installation to make sure that you're still within your budget.
- We've highlighted some of our most popular faux grass for landscaping products below to help you get started.
Coastal Cut Artificial Grass Roll
If you're looking for a product that's highly realistic, then our Coastal Cut Artificial Grass Roll may be the perfect choice. This grass may be artificial, but you'll have a hard time telling that, even up close. This turf features a color blend in the yarns that closely resembles the look of genuine grass. Four colors are incorporated into the yarns. The main yarns are a blend of field green and lime, while the thatch yarns are olive and tan. The realism offered by this grass roll is unmatched.
With a pile of 1.25 inches, this turf has a full feel and reacts naturally underfoot. It's both durable and safe. You can install this turf directly on concrete, or on a base of crushed stone.
Designed to maximize drainage, this turf helps to prevent standing water from pooling. Rainwater serves to help keep the turf clean, though you can also hose it off if needed. Maintenance is almost non-existent. Backed by a 5-year warranty, you can invest in this turf with confidence.
Silicon Valley Artificial Grass Turf Roll
The Silicon Valley Artificial Grass Turf Roll is a great choice for outdoor landscaping. This turf has a plush body and a natural look, so you need only minimal infill, which will save you money on installation. Backed by a 5-year warranty, this is a durable option that is great for both home and commercial settings.
This turf is suitable for both outdoor and indoor installations, and the 15-foot-wide roll will quickly cover large areas. The turf offers a natural appearance that is virtually maintenance-free. Just hose it down from time to time to restore its beautiful appearance. The Silicon Valley Artificial Grass Turf puts in a consistent performance over time, making it a long-lasting investment for any project.
Catalina Artificial Turf Roll
Ideal for outdoor installations, the Catalina Artificial Turf Roll is designed to withstand the challenges of outdoor use. The turf is UV treated, so the grass will maintain its beautiful appearance over time and during all of the weather conditions it will see throughout the year. The polyethylene plastic that makes up the individual yarns is tough and durable, and the turf is backed by a 5-year warranty.
A generous 1.5-inch pile provides cushion and a welcoming surface that feels great underfoot. The fibers won't absorb water, and the turf offers excellent drainage, so you won't have to worry about it developing mold or a musty odor. A crushed rock and sand base will help to promote rapid drainage for an even better performance. Regular rainfall will also help to keep the turf looking great, though you can also rinse the turf with water if needed.
This turf is available in a 15-foot-wide roll, which quickly covers large areas. Since it's sold by the linear foot, you can purchase exactly how much you need in order to ensure you come in under budget.
Soft Landing Artificial Grass Turf Roll
For an attractive footing that offers a natural reaction, consider our Soft Landing Artificial Grass Turf Roll. This faux grass for landscaping is a multipurpose option that can be used for both landscaping and pet areas. Because this turf roll offers a thatch, you need less infill, which will save you money and time on the installation.
This artificial grass for landscaping comes in 12-foot-widths that offer plenty of coverage, so your finished product has minimal seams. You can also purchase these rolls by the linear foot, with a 20-foot minimum.
Maintaining this turf is easy; just occasionally flush it with water to restore its original color. Rainwater can also help to keep the turf clean. A 5-year limited warranty is a testament to the durability of this product.
Choosing Artificial Grass for Landscaping
As you explore your choices when it comes to artificial turf for landscaping, don't hesitate to contact our customer service representatives with any questions that you may have. We're always happy to provide you with product samples and can advise you about which products may be the best fit for your upcoming project.
For more on this topic please review our Artificial Grass and Turf product page.