How Do You Cut Marley Dance Flooring?
By Created: February, 2021
Related Product: Theatrical No Glare Floor Full Bolt 2 mm x 6x60 Ft.
- A sharp utility knife with a fresh blade and possibly some extras on hand in case the original one dulls.
- A straight edge guide.
- A tape measure.
- A pen or marker.
- Cardboard, cutting mat, or other safe surface on which to cut.
- Measure the length of the Marley you’d like to cut, and mark that distance. It’s always a good idea to measure twice, just to be sure your markings are accurate.
- Place your cardboard or cutting mat under the portion of Marley you wish to cut. This will prevent causing damage to your existing floor.
- Align your straight edge with your pen or marker marks.
- Following your straight edge with your utility knife, use a series of shallow scores until you cut through the Marley. If it doesn’t cut easily, it’s time to change your blade.
- Measure twice, cut once.
- A metal straight edge works the best. (Some even have a cork or other non-skid surface on the back to prevent them from accidentally slipping during the cut.)
- The longer the straight edge, the better.
- Always have a protective cutting surface under the Marley.
- Using a brand new sharp blade is critical - with replacement blades available. If it's not scoring easily, your blade isn’t sharp enough and it’s tipe to replace it.
- Be patient while scoring. You'll get a cleaner cut if you make sure the blade stays against the straight edge and you don't try to force the blade through the Marley.
Although the thought of cutting Marley flooring may be intimidating, buying large rolls and cutting them yourself really does save money. When you follow the simple, step by step instructions provided, it ends up being an easy DIY project. Don’t worry if you have a bit of extra product once you get the roll in your space, as most rolls ship in slightly longer rolls than ordered to allow for that custom fit. Finally, if you really don’t want to do the cutting, there are Marley products with custom lengths available.
Now that you know how easy cutting Marley flooring is, let’s take a look at some of the best Marley products offered at Greatmats.
- Rosco Adagio Marley Full Roll - Can be used for all dance types, regardless of the type of shoes. It provides slip resistance, is durable, and long lasting. A full roll has a width of 5.25 feet and a length of 101 feet, providing 534 square feet of coverage.
- Rosco Adagio Touring Full Roll - Perfect for touring groups and dancers practicing tap and clogging. This is a portable option that is easy to roll up and transport, and it can be installed with vinyl floor tape. It features a smooth, flat, non-glare surface. This one is also available in a full roll width of 5.25 feet and a length of 101 feet, providing 534 square feet of coverage.
- Dance & Stage Pro Full Roll - Provides a durable Marley surface that is great for soft shoes, like modern dance, jazz, lyrical, and ballet. It can be installed with tape or glue. This is a great option if you decide you don’t want to do any cutting, as it is a custom, non-returnable item.
- Rosco Dance Floor Reversible Full Roll - An option that is designed for ballet and soft shoe dance types, this one is reversible and removable with cut length options. Available in black/gray and black/white options, this pro level dance studio and stage flooring is easy to unroll and install with tape. The standard, full roll size is 5.25 feet wide by 131.30 feet long, providing 689.30 square feet.
- Theatrical No Glare Floor Full Bolt - Another custom-cut product to choose if you don’t want to do any cutting yourself. It features no glare theatre surfacing and is perfect for stage and black box spaces. It works well for modern dance, jazz dance, ballet, and more. To install, you just roll it out and tape it down.
- Vario Reversible Marley Flooring - Is a reversible dance flooring to be used with soft shoes. It is a portable dance flooring product that’s easy to transport and use for touring theatrical events. It is easily installed with vinyl tape and can be cut to fit as needed. A standard roll is 5.25 feet wide by 131 feet long and provides 687.75 square feet of coverage.
- Vario High Gloss Flooring is a gloss back dance floor that really looks stunning on stage. It travels well for touring applications, and it is easy to roll and unroll. This is another option that can be custom cut to your needed length if you want to avoid cutting Marley flooring at home.
- Vario Met Silver Metallic Floor - A silver metallic floor is great for studios and stages, and it travels well for touring applications. It lays out flat when unrolled, and you simply use special Vario Met Silver Dance Floor Tape around the perimeter and on seams. If cutting Marley flooring isn’t your thing, this is another customizable product from which to choose.
- Vario 2.0 Dance Flooring - A heavy duty dance flooring that is very versatile with a matte surface finish and wear layer protection. This flooring is for sale in many colors and it is ideal for all types of dance. It works well in theaters and studios in permanent or temporary applications. This option is available in custom cut lengths.
- Vario 2.4 Dance Flooring - This flooring is almost identical to the 2.0 version, except it is 2.4 mm thick vs 2 mm thick. Remember, if cutting marley flooring is not something you want to do, go with this or one of the many other customizable products.
To create an affordable faux sprung floor, you can add this Elite Subfloor. This offers cushion and support and makes for the perfect base on which a Marley floor can be installed. Greatmats also has other sprung floors and sprung floor alternatives from which to choose.
Contact the team at Greatmats to learn more about any of the Marley flooring products, or, to receive suggestions for cutting Marley flooring! Friendly and knowledgeable agents are standing by - just waiting to help you determine what the ideal Marley flooring solution is for you. When you’re ready to purchase, let Greatmats go to work for you!
For more on this topic please review our Marley Floor for Dance product page.