Breakdance Mat Guidelines and For the Ultimate Breakdance Floor
By Created: May, 2017 - Modified: December, 2022
Related Product: EZ Portable Dance Floor Tile 5/8 Inch x 1x1 Ft.
It's so popular that it's even become a frequent workout routine, helping people burn calories through the invigorating combination of dance and cardio.
Hip hop routines and breakdancing, however, require a very specific dance floor. Do you know what to look for when buying breakdance flooring mats? Keep reading to learn about the most important considerations for your hip hop dance flooring.
Top Flooring Considerations for Hip Hop Dance
1. Slip-ResistanceSlip-resistance is very important to the reliability of your flooring, as well as the consistency and quality of your dance routine. If you are going to have a successful hip hop dance, you need to ensure that the breakdance floor mats you choose will not cause slips and falls. Nothing is more embarrassing than practicing endlessly for a dance routine, only to perform on slippery floors.
Fortunately, there are many breakdance floors have have slip-resistant properties. Proper mats can ensure great traction with dance shoes and bare feet if needed.
2. Break-ResistanceThe hip hop dance flooring you choose should also be durable and tough. It may not have to hold up thousands of pounds like industrial surfaces, but it will take a constant, nearly relentless beating from modern hip hop dance routines. When dozens of people perform routines over and over again, it can quickly cause damage to an inferior product.
You will be able to find many breakdance floor mats that can stand up to the constant impacts of hip hop routines. Vinyl is durable and attractive, making it a top material for breakdance mats.
3. CushioningGood cushioning is also important. While breakdancers don't need the highly-cushioning properties of a mat designed for sports like wrestling, it's a good idea to have a mat that can provide at least a small level of cushioning. Compared to concrete, a good hip hop dance mat will give you better protection should a dancer fall, and it can also deliver long-term protection to knees, ankles, and ligaments compared to the impact of concrete.
Even vinyl tiles, which are certainly not ''cushiony,'' provide excellent protection over unforgiving concrete and asphalt, and rubber can give you excellent shock absorption.
4. UV ResistanceWill you be using your dance materials outside? If so, it helps to have UV-resistant breakdance mats. Over time, the sun can cause fading and even structural damage to the material. This can significantly reduce the quality and longevity of your mats, and can lead to less-than-stellar dance routines.
Many dance flooring products are UV treated or naturally UV-resistant. These materials will last longer in the outdoors, ensuring your have a mat that you can use anywhere. If you are going on a summer dance tour with many outdoor routines, or if your dance facility has an outdoor studio, make sure you have UV-resistant materials.
5. Installation AreasWhere can you install the flooring you have chosen? Can it be laid over concrete, carpet, or hardwood? Is there only one specific surface it can go over? The areas where you can install a hip hop or breakdance floor will make a big impact on the long term quality and consistency of your purchase. If you will be using the flooring at multiple locations, make sure you find a product that can be installed over many different surfaces.
Some vinyl tile products can be installed over multiple surfaces, but you may want an underlayment depending on the existing surface on which they will be install.
6. Ease of InstallationHaving a dance floor that you can easily install is essential, especially if you will be using the flooring for traveling dance shows or competitions. In many cases, you can find rolls of rubber flooring that can be laid over virtually any surface. You may need tape of special adhesives, but you will sometimes be able to simply roll it out, depending on the material and the specific surface.
Modular tiles are usually easy to install. Breakdance floor mats made from interlocking tiles can be quickly assembled and disassembled, creating easy installation for your dancing needs.
7. PortabilityWhen you have to take your dance routine on the road, make sure you have portable mats or flooring that can easily fit in your vehicle. You'll usually find mats in two forms. Either rolled mats, which are often vinyl, and tiles, which are made from vinyls and plastics. Both of these types of breakdance mats create easy portability.
Permanent breakdance mats don't need the portability of temporary ones, but it never hurts to have a mat that can be moved from one location to another.
8. StorageMany facilities host a wide variety of activities. They can can have breakdancing, sports, music and more. For this reason, it helps to have hip hop dance floors that can be stored away quickly. If you have to place your mats in a closet or under a stage, storage will be very important.
For most places, rolls are very easy to store. Tiles can also be stacked and stored away in a convenient location. Storage is also important if you are going to use the dance mats in your home.
9. Sub-flooringWhile many breakdance floor mats will not require a sub-flooring, some will need a material placed between the floor and the mats. These sub-floorings can serve many different purposes. For example, they can help protect the flooring underneath. If you have hardwood or tile, you may want to use a sub-flooring for harder dance floors.
As an example, the ProCourt Gym Flooring Tile recommends a 3 millimeter rubber underlayment, which reduces noise and makes the material more comfortable.
10. PriceFinally, you should consider the price when purchasing a flooring material. Whether you are buying for your home, for a dance studio, or for a municipal facility, you likely have a budget and need to carefully weigh your needs against the final price.
When considering price, be sure to look at all the specific details. You may need to purchase a sub-flooring or use special adhesives or glues. You may even need to purchase extra borders. No matter how many breakdance floor mats you need to buy, take careful consideration of the final price before you purchase.
High-Quality Breakdance Floor Mats for Home and Facilities
Portable Dance Floor Tile 1x1 Ft
If you want to create an unforgettable dance event, this is one of the top breakdance floors. This portable product, which is made from vinyl laid over a plastic base, comes in one-square-foot tiles. It has durability thanks to commercial-grade materials, and the tiles snap together tightly to create a virtually seamless surface. Create a checkered surface or design a pattern of your own for added style.
ProCourt Dance Floor Tile
These vinyl tiles have a stunning surface design that looks like the wood of a professional basketball court. With a 0.5 mm thick wear layer, it is great for YMCA's and gyms, but can also be used to create portable dance floor surfaces for traveling shows and competitions. It is strong, visually-pleasing, and elegant, giving you a unique style that can't be beat.
Rosco Adagio Touring Portable Marley Roll
One of the easiest breakdance floors to install, store, and move, this vinyl flooring surface gives excellent traction and can be placed over a wide range of surfaces. Also a top choice for tap dance routines, it is often utilized to create excellent hip hop dance performance spaces. It can be cut to the specific length you require, giving you the ability to fit the flooring to your specific needs.
Vario All Around Dance Flooring
If you are ordering a breakdance mat that will be used for many other dance routines, this is one of your best options. The material is made from high-quality vinyl and has a soft foam-padded backing, giving it superior cushioning and support for dancers. The matte surface is non-reflective and has excellent slip resistance. While tape is recommended, installation is simple and fast.
The Right Hip Hop Flooring and Breakdance Mats are Waiting for YouVisit Greatmats and you'll find plenty of high-quality breakdance mats for your specific needs. From vinyl tiles to rubber rolls, we have everything you need for a wonderful dance studio or temporary hip hop dance surface.
The right flooring can make a big difference, so contact the helpful team at Greatmats and we'll help guide you to the right materials for your specific needs.